10. The presidential mom jeans.
9. Adam Lamberts American Music Award performance was, in and of itself, not an epic fail. Yes, it was tragically bad, with male-on-male sexy time and doofy outfits and crappy singing. The epic fail in this overtly sexualized messy mess of hairspray and gel was the fact that the guy doing all of this is named Adam Lambert. Really? Really Adam Lambert? I refuse to believe that the gay world allowed this. In the gay world you can be anything you want; you can wear leather pants and eyeliner and black nail polish. Dont get me wrong. I understand that gay folks shouldnt have to be burdened by the stereotypical stuff (a la George Michael). But if you come out on stage and work the props, the people and yourself up into a big pansexual frenzy, then youve set yourself up for a little constructive critiquing: If youre going to go out like Madonna, then be Madonna. Give yourself one of those cool one-word names, like Leblasia. Adam Lambert sounds so pedestrianlike a plumber or a sandwich artist at Subway. When someone named Adam Lambert says things like, “I’m about to turn up the heat, it makes me think that ole Adam is going to throw another log in the fire. We get it Adam Lambert: Youre gay. Now go ahead and be all the way gay. (And while youre at it, get some better music.)
8. Now, I have heard many stories about Michael Jordans alleged schmuckery: How, in 1999, he filmed PSAs promoting organ donationand then the Chicago Tribune discovered that hed refused to register as a donor himself. Or when he decided he wouldnt endorse the Democrat running against self-proclaimed redneck Jesse Helms because Republicans buy sneakers, too. Im clear that Michael Jordan, the player, was easily the greatest to ever lace them up, and that Michael Jordan, the man, can be an epic ass. But his Hall of Fame speech wasnt one of those times. Through tears, he talked about how he wanted to be better than everyone. He praised his sister for pushing him to succeed. He called out Chicago Bulls ex-owner Jerry Krause for trying to steal his shine claiming that the organization won championships. Players win championships, he said: I dont remember the organization playing in Utah with the flu. In the speech that I saw, Jordan came off as a man conflicted about his success and uncomfortable with public speaking. I also saw a man who was comfortable embracing his greatness. I cant hate him for that. The epic fail here is with the media folks who took his jokes out of context and painted his speech as a vindictive plea delivered by a fallen star. They failed to recognize the complexities of his acceptance speech. Whenever a black sports superstar like Jordan or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is confident about their level of greatness, the mainstream (read: mainly white) media seems to have a problem with that.
7. Jon Gosselin, of Jon and Kate Plus 8, is what I like to call the roasted epic fail. That is the best thing about fake reality TV: We get to watch you crumble in slow motion. In a year, he went from a sad sack on a couch, an almost sympathetic figure, to a cheating louse with bad hair plugs and bacne. Right before our eyes, he slowly evolved from doting dad to this early-mid-life-crisis-having, Ed Hardy tight T-shirt wearing, dating-while-married guy who says things like, I can chill in my apartment in New York while his eight kids are only a few hours away. As if that wasnt bad enough, the blogosphere is rife with rumors that there might be a wait for it sex tape.
6. Clearly, Kanye Wests tight leather shirt cut off the oxygen to his brain the night of the MTV Video Music Awards. Mix that with him fisting a fifth of Hennessy and his obvious man crush on Jigga, and you have the hot mess that walked on stage to rudely interrupt angel-faced Taylor Swift. Kanye strikes me as the guy in junior high that would steal a box of condoms from 7-11 to show all his buddies how he went in the store and stole something, just to be accepted. He is so insecure that he was willing to jump onstage and interrupt heavens own little blonde teardrop and all her gosh darns and dag on its. I dont in any way condone Kanyes behavior. But had he barged in on Letoya Luckett no one would have cared. Because of that, part of me didnt want to add him to the list. But when the president calls you a jackass, youve got to know that you have epically failed.